Brazilian wax Kansas city
1. Let it grow. The ideal waxing length for hair? A quarter-inch, which meant I couldn’t shave for three weeks.
2. Down a glass of vino. My “waxpert,” Nadia Montuori of European Wax Center, said a few pre-wax sips can help you relax — key to a faster treatment.
3. Wear a skirt. I kept mine on, pulling it up so Nadia could do her thing. I felt way comfier having some coverage.
1. Practice your butterfly pose. After I ditched my undies, I hopped on the table, and Nadia asked me to assume the position: feet together, knees apart. Then we got started.
2. Prepare talking points. Mindless chatter and deep breathing gave me something else to concentrate on.
3. Know it’ll hurt. For me, it was as painful as my tattoo! But Nadia said it’s a wax-virgin thing. “The bulb of a first-timer’s hair is larger than the pore you’re yanking it from.” Regular waxes make the hair finer and the bulb smaller.
4. And … there’s more yoga. To go totally bare — crack included! — I had to give Nadia full access by bringing my knees to my chest. Yes, it was as awkward as it sounds. But amazingly, I barely felt a thing there.
1. Spring for soothing serum. The area was red, sore, and a little bumpy. But before bed, I applied Nadia’s recommendation — the magical European Wax Center Ingrown Hair Serum, $25 — and when I woke up the next morning, it was perfect and way smoother than when I shave. I’ll definitely be seeing Nadia again in four weeks.
1. Keep it clean. Pack towelettes (try La Fresh’s, $1.69) for a quick cleanup. You’ll feel more confident.
2. Tip up. If you’re a 15 percent kind of girl, opt for the standard 18 to 20 percent. We’re talking lady parts here.
3. Wear a tampon. If you have your period, that is. Most techs don’t mind waxing at that time of the month (clear it with them first) and can work around the string. (Warning: It may hurt more since your skin is sensitive during your period.)
4. Do a skin check. A wax can be performed only on healthy skin. If you have a condition like psoriasis or an STD that causes sores, postpone your appointment until your issues have cleared.
1. Take it off. Start at the least sensitive area, usually farthest from your vag, and work your way in.
2. Nix Strays. Pre-coated wax strips are purse-friendly — perfect for last minute de-fuzzing.
3. Chill out. Mist on a cooling spritz, spiked with skin-numbing Lidocaine, 10 minutes before waxing.
DO NOT WAX IF
1. You take accutane. The prescription acne treatment leaves skin thinner — waxing may tear it.
2. You have a sunburn. For obvious reasons.
3. You’re about to hit the beach. Along with hair, waxing takes off protective skin cells, causing sand and salt water to seriously sting.